悠悠小荷  发表于 2017-2-23 09:39:29| 845 次查看 | 1 条回复

Oh I see!

喔,我懂了!

Mr. Beans had always wanted to travel to the African jungle to hunt, and , to his mind, the greatest prey was beyond doubt the mighty gorilla.Unfortunately, the gorilla is an endangered species, and may no longer be killed for sport, but Mr. Beans had heard of one professional hunter who had devised a way to capture the gorilla alive.
奔驰先生总想到非洲打猎,在他看来,壮硕的大猩猩无疑是最佳的狩猎对象。不幸的是,大猩猩乃是一种濒临绝种的动物,不适合娱乐性质的狩猎活动,但奔驰先生曾听闻一位发明可以活捉大猩猩的职业猎人。

One fine day found Mr. Beans talking to the great white hunter, Mr. Bones, in his tent.
一天,奔驰先生和伟大的白人猎物专家朋驰先生在帐篷中谈话。

“Well, if you want to go on safari, my service will cost you $ 1,000 a . day, my man Mbulu $ 500 a day, $ 500 for the schnauzer and $ 500 for the pygmy with the gun,”explained Bones.
“如果你要去猎大猩猩的话,我本人服务一天索价一千美金;我手下恩布鲁一天五百美金,德国猎犬一天五百美金;另外带枪的矮黑人也一天五百,”朋驰解释说道。

Beans did not quite understand these charges, but nonetheless agreed.
奔驰先生并不很了解这些价目,可是他仍然答应了。

On their very first day on the hunt, Bones spotted a gorilla, which scampered up a tree. Mbulu, a mighty Zulu, pursued the ape and shook the branch on which it clung till the beast fell off. Immediately the schnauzer leapt forward, biting the befuddled ape on the most tender part of its anatomy. The gorilla fainted with shock, and was easily captured.
第一天出去打猎,朋驰看见一只猩猩逃到一棵树上,恩布鲁是一位孔武有力的祖鲁人,他追赶到树上,猛力摇动那只猩猩攀附的树枝,待猩猩掉下之后,猎狗立刻跳上前去,咬住它身体最柔嫩的部分,猩猩惊吓得昏了过去,很容易就被活捉了。

Mr. Beans was quite delighted, and even more so the next day, when the performance was repeated. But he still couldn’t figure out the purpose of the pygmy with the gun, for whom he was paying $ 500 a day, and who seemed only to smile and pick his teeth.
奔驰先生非常高兴,尤其第二天又捕到另一只猩猩,更让他欣喜万分,但他还是想不通他每天付五百美金请的带枪的小黑人究竟用途何在,只见他笑嘻嘻、剔牙,其他的什么事也不做。

Finally, on the third day, Bones spotted the largest gorilla they’d ever encountered. As before, Mbulu pursued the primate into the tree. But this time, no amount of shaking would dislodge the beast. In fact, it turned on Mbulu, grappled with him, and sent his hurtling to the ground.
第三天时,朋驰看见他们所遇到的最大的一只猩猩,如以往一样,恩布鲁把那只灵长类动物追赶到树上,可是这次怎么也摇不下来。相反地,它转向恩布鲁,一阵扭打后,把他扔到地上。

As the mighty Zulu fell, he shouted to the pygmy, "Shoot the dog! Shoot the dog!"
当恩布鲁跌下时,他对矮黑人叫道:“快射那只猎狗!射那只猎狗!(”译注:为何恩布鲁跌下时,大叫矮黑人射杀那只猎狗呢?因为猎狗以为只要从树上跌下的东西就是猩猩,所以恩布鲁跌下时,猎狗就以为他是猩猩,准备要去咬他,而矮黑人带枪的目的就是要保护恩布鲁。)

英语知识点解说:

1.to one's mind 在某人看来
例:To my mind, there is nothing more beautiful than a baby's smile.
(我认为婴儿的微笑是最美的。)

2.prey n. 猎物(集合名词,不可数)
fall prey to... 被……所折磨
例:Lincoln often fell prey to melancholy.
(林肯常受忧郁症折磨。)

3.beyond doubt 无疑地
=doubtless
=doubtlessly
例:"You are beyond doubt the laziest, dirtiest, and most insolent employee I've ever had," said the boss to John.
(“你无疑是我所见过最懒惰、最脏、最傲慢无礼的员工,”老板约翰说。)

4.mighty a. 强有力的
might n. 实力;武力
例:Hercules was the mightiest hero in Greek myth.
(赫克力士是希腊神话中最有力气的英雄。)

5.gorilla n. 大猩猩

6.endangered a. 受到危险的;濒临绝种的

7.species n. (生物)种类(单复数同形)
例:There are millions of species of insects.
(世界上昆虫的种类有数百万之多。)

8.sport n. 原意为“运动”,此处表“狩猎”

9.professional a. 职业的;专业的
amateur a. 业余的;非职业的
例:No amateur can hope to beat the professional golfers in this tournament.
(在此次高尔夫球比赛中,业余者想要打败那些职业选手门都没有。)

10.devise vt. 设计

11.capture vt. 捕获;俘虏
例:The team captured their first national title this year.
(这支球队今年在全国比赛中封王。)

12.safari n. 狩猎
go on safari 去探险狩猎

13.schnauzer n. 一种德国猎犬

14.pygmy n. 非洲匹美族矮小黑人

15.charge vt. 索价
charge sb for sth 因某事物向某人索价
例:They charged me NT $ 100 for the service.
(他们向我索取台币一百元的服务费。)

16.nonetheless 仍然
=still

17.scamper vi. 落荒而逃

18.Zulu n. 非洲祖鲁族黑人土著

19.pursue vt. 追赶

20.ape n. 猿类

21.cling vi. 附着;攀附
动词三态为:cling、clung、clung。
cling to... 坚守……
= stick to
例:The frightened child clung to her mother's skirt.
(受到惊吓的小孩紧抓着母亲的裙子不放。)

22.leap vi. 跳
动词三态为:leap、leaped/leapt/leaped/leapt。
例:Look before you leap.
(三思而后行。——谚语)

23.befuddle vt. 使昏迷

24.tender a. 嫩的;疼痛的,一摸就痛的
例:I got sunburned three days ago and my skin is still tender.
(我三天前皮肤被晒伤了,现在仍然觉得一碰就痛。)

25.anatomy n. 解剖学(此处指“身体”)

26.faint vi. 昏倒
= pass out
例:The wounded soldier fainted from loss of blood.
(这名受伤的士兵因失血过多而昏倒。)

27.pick one's teeth 剔牙

28.encounter vt. 遭遇;邂逅
例:Little Johnny told his teacher that he encountered a little green man on his way to school, who stole his homework!
(小强尼告诉他的老师在他上学途中,他遇到一个绿色小矮人把他的作业偷走了。)

29.primate n. 灵长类动物

30.dislodge vt. 使脱位,使移动

31.grapple vi. 扭打;揪打在一起

32.hurtle vi. 高速滚动
例:The driverless car went hurtling down the hill.
(那辆无人驾驶的汽车以高速冲下山坡。)

太急燥了,要平心静气
fnodi  评论于  2017-2-23 09:39:58
已阅留名